Tips from a Professional Hair Stylist // The Quick Six, A New TréCreative Tips&Tricks Series
When we started this blog, our goal was to share stories, inspire a meaningful marriage, and be a resource to any bride planning her wedding day.
We're in the triple digits of weddings we've photographed, and have seen a fair share of wedding trends. We can answer many questions our brides have in regards to weddings. However, we don't pretend to be experts in all areas! For that reason, over the next several months we're introducing a new Tips&Tricks series we're calling The Quick Six. Six questions with a local professional in the wedding industry here in Chico. The hopes are to showcase other wedding professionals, while helping you plan your wedding day along the way!
First up is our friend Cortney who is an amazing hair stylist here in Chico. We've worked weddings with Cortney and seen her hair magic first hand! She's super talented and can be an amazing resource to brides, especially when it comes to wedding hair! Without further ado, here is Cortney's Quick Six!
- Introduce yourself and share a fun fact about yourself that not everyone knows. I’m Cortney Riegel a hairstylist at The Bungalow in Chico California, I started my career in Chico almost a decade ago, then moved to Hollywood and Portland where I continued my education and trained with the areas top stylists. I fill my days with hand painted hair creations, extensions, styling for weddings, fashion shows, photoshoots and much, much more. You can follow my work on Instagram @CortneyCutsHair and visit my Facebook page to book appointments and view recent work. A fun fact about me would be that I love puzzles, board games, and video games, it's my favorite pastime.
- What is one of your favorite things about designing wedding hair styles? I love the details and creative process of designing hairstyles that inspire the bride and also complement her own personal style. It’s such an honor to be part of the most important day of someone's life and to make them feel their most beautiful.
- What is one thing most brides don’t know or realize about when they hire a professional in your field? Most people don’t realize you end up spending more time with your stylist on your wedding day than most of your guests, so make sure they are someone you like and feel comfortable around. When choosing a stylist, book a consultation first to get a trial and test your favorite style options, that way you know exactly what you are going to get on the day of your wedding.
- What is your best advice for a bride planning her wedding? I’m planning a wedding too! Just enjoy the little moments you get. I tend to stress and want to do everything myself, so I would say give up control to those who want to help out. Give professionals a little bit of creative control, it always turns out better.
- What are some of your favorite wedding trends (or trends you would like to see in the future)? Recently braids have become very popular in wedding styles creating an effortless, romantic look to the modern bride. Brides today have more of a natural aesthetic and are leaning towards more loose, free flowing styles. We’re seeing less of the traditional sculpted, precision upstyles. As far as future trends, I’m seeing a lot more hair adornments and accessories in exchange for traditional veils.
- When picking a hair designer, what are some good questions and things a bride should look for? Start looking for a stylist at least six months in advance, wedding season books up fast! Make sure that the stylist can come to you, the simpler the better. If you are going to have 6+ people getting hair styled, have your stylist bring an assistant. I would book a separate makeup artist and hairstylist rather than someone who does both because your outcome will be much better. Always have a trial run through, to test styles, go over details, and pay a deposit, guaranteeing a smooth wedding day. Lastly, as your wedding stylist we’re here for you, so relax, and enjoy your day...Congrats! you're getting married!!